Whangaimoana

Original Filename: Whangaimoana_019.jpg ( not available for download )

Whangaimoana.

Caption

019

Whangaimoana

 

Situated south of Martinborough on the South Wairarapa Coast.

One of the original stations that took in all the land east of the Lake Wairarapa to the coast. The first lease was taken up by Purvis Russell in 1843 for what was to become the 9256 acre run. In the 1866 Crown Lands Grants the four Russell brothers were granted a total of 3367 acres between them, but by 1870 John was the sole owner. Another 1,926 acres were added in1882, by then totalling 7127. In 1876 John P Russell built a homestead known locally as "The Castle" employing 5 gardeners to care for the six acres of gardens and trees that had been carefully set out. To this day the gardens are well known and garden tours are welcomed. Older sister Anne lived with John until her death in 1899. John had never married and was prominent in local affairs when he died in 1906 age 76, Whangaimoana was sub-divided and sold at auction in1907 with Thomas Kennedy buying the homestead block of 2,545 acres, with many changes of hands since.

 

Whangaimoana        Whangaimoana       Moanatahi    Waipatu       Pirinoa                 Pikihuia          Whangaimoana        Kaiwau         Te Karanga          Glen Callum

Huanui      Whakatomotomo     Rawaha          Turanganui           Turanganui

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.