Ngaiana

Original Filename: Ngaiana_089.jpg ( not available for download )

Ngaiana.

Caption

089

Ngaiana

 

Situated East of Masterton on the Masterton/Riversdale Rd. between Whareama and Riversdale. The 2052 acre property, Ngaiana, didn't get that name until 1939 when Guy Hargreaves purchased Waiana from H.O. Toogood. Toogood had wanted to keep 'Waiana' as his postal address in Masterton and so Hargreaves invented the name Ngaiana it has no Maori meaning. Waiana came into being sometime after Montague Meredith sold Orui in 1907 to Cunningham and Midgely who resold it to R.E.W. Riddiford six months later. Riddiford bought H.O. Toogood out from Scotland to manage the stock and, as far as we know the station. Toogood and McLean leased the Kohiwia block sometime before 1911 and subsequently Toogood purchased 2052 acres of it which he named Waiana. In September 1939 Hargreaves bought the property and, together with "The Section" (part of the original Orui Beaumaris block) which he bought from Laird Meredith, the two properties became Ngaiana. The Section, known today as Matapapa (and owned by R.H. Tatham (Bob) ), was a 500 acre block containing approximately 350 acres of swampy flat interspersed with clay hillocks and lay two miles to the north from the Ngaiana homestead. In 1961 Ngaiana was split between Guy's two sons, Tony taking Matapapa and Peter the 2052 acre "hill block" called Ngaiana. In 1977 Peter sold Ngaiana to F.M.D. Bell. It was Bell that added to the property by buying more land from Orui and then subdividing.

 

The house was designed by Archie Daniell and built by C.E. Daniell. The building began in 1911 and was completed in 1913. The timber for it was milled and stacked in Daniell's yard where it was turned every two months.

The garden was laid out by Alfred Buxton, but his management instructions were never carried out hence his wind protection plantings took over and many specimen trees lost their form as a result.

Buxton's bill was 3,500 pound and Daniell's total for the house was 4,500 pound. The 1942 earthquake brought down all the chimney's - parts of which ended up in the garden, lodged in the ceiling, stuck in the guttering or fell through the roof, ceiling, floor and still lie under the house as far as I know. The finials weighed a quarter of a ton each.

 

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.