Longwood

Original Filename: Longwood_030__1_of_2_.jpg ( not available for download )

Longwood.

Caption

030

Longwood

 

Situated 4 miles S/E of Featherston. The property was originally taken up by Henry Bunny the Deputy Superintendent of Wellington Province in 1857. He built the original homestead and named the property after Napoleons house on St. Helena, which he had visited. The house was colonial style with dormer windows, shingle roof and gables, with veranda closed in at one end to form a conservatory and gardens planted with fine English trees. Bunny sold to Charles Pharazyn in 1871 and Pharazyn enlarged the house considerably, about 1905 it burnt down and was replaced by a castle like brick house. D.H.S. Ridddiford bought Longwood about 1913 and altered it considerably. The present homestead was built by Riddiford in 1921 on the site of previous buildings. The massive chimneys were much reduced in size after the 1942 earthquake.

 

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.