Castlepoint

Original Filename: Castlepoint_105.jpg ( not available for download )

Castlepoint.

Caption

 

105

Castlepoint

 

Situated East of Masterton on the coast, at Castle Point an area of the Wairarapa coast famous for the Castle-Point light-house and Castle Rock. Thomas Guthrie was the first owner after the station was made freehold in 1859, probably in conjunction with Tollermarche. In 1864 the southern block was sold to the Rev. J.C. Andrew who formed Ica Station. 1865 saw the remaining 20,000 acres put up for sale, but it was not sold, some areas were then leased out and eventually in 1873, 11,535 were sold to G.M. Waterhouse for One Pound ($20) an acre. In 1876 it sold to W.W. Johnston. Various sub-divisions were made over the years with a major partition into 3 farms in 1919. As coastal shipping was the only way of getting supplies in and wool out of the Wairarapa in the very early years, Castlepoint with its sheltered bay had always been the main supply point for the whole district, with its accommodation, store and hotel being the access point to the hinterland.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.