Wharepapa

Original Filename: Wharepapa_112.jpg ( not available for download )

Wharepapa.

Caption

112

Wharepapa

 

Situated on the coast south of Featherston, from the Western Lake side. The area was first farmed by Charles Matthews in 1844, before he later moved on to Wairongomai. In 1870 brother-in-law William Akers bought the southern tip of Wharepapa of 5293 acres off Matthews, which he later sold back. It was then farmed as an out-station. The homestead was built for Norman and Nesta Matthews in 1909 and a block of 4600 acres was theirs to farm. There was a large stand of native bush and gardens surrounding the house with Lake Pounui not far away. In 1960 the property was divided into three, a daughter taking a block each, and then later passing on sons Norman Cameron of Flat Point getting Kiriwai, Donald Cameron from Hinakura getting Ponui and Bruce Eglington from Wharekauhau next door getting Wharepapa homestead block. The homestead was demolished in 1973.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.