Waikaraka

Original Filename: Waikaraka_106.jpg ( not available for download )

Waikaraka.

Caption

106

Waikaraka

 

Situated East of Masterton on the coast about 5 miles South of Riversdale. The property was bought and taken up by George and John Moore in 1854, its 18,000 acres being part of their 60,000 acre holdings. The still existing woolshed erected about 1860 was the first large building in the district, and was used as a gathering place for the community. By the mid 1870's, the run had for working purposes been divided into three, with John Moore keeping a reduced Waikaraka, Fred Moore Homeward and Glenburn which even in its rough condition ran 7,200 sheep, and the Fernyhurst block run by F. Chalmers a son-in-law of Moore. It was cut off in 1880 when Fred also sold Homewards 1348 acres, and the lease of the Ngapuketurua Reserve of 1970 acres to F.E. Tatham. In 1890 Walter Buchanan bought the 1446 acres of Waikaraka from Donald Donald, with the homestead being built in the early 1900's.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.