Rototawai

Original Filename: Rototawai_043.jpg ( not available for download )

Rototawai.

Caption

043

Rototawai

 

Situated 8 ½ miles from Featherston on the Kahautara Rd. when the 13,000 acre Pihautea was broken up between the three Bidwill brothers, Rototawai and Tawaha were the two new properties created along with the homestead block Pihautea. The Rototawai homestead was built in 1893 for Mr. W.E. Bidwill. In April 1894 William married Mildred Rhodes from Hawkes Bay and they lived in the homestead. They then established a very successful Romney and Shorthorn Stud, but were better known as a race-horse breeding Stud, having bred many well known and successful horses. Behind the homestead were the racing stables and many other substantial out-buildings, also a private race track for training. In 1928 the two storey wooden homestead burnt down, and was replaced with a Georgian style homestead on the same site.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.