Wharekauhau

Original Filename: Wharekauhau_113.jpg ( not available for download )

Wharekauhau.

Caption

113

Wharekauhau

 

Situated South of Featherston on the Coast end of the Western Lake Rd. at Palliser Bay. First settled by the Eglington family in the late 1850's.The first homestead was built in 1860 and used by family and managers. In 1935 it was demolished to make way for a new house for Doug and Judy Eglington (Judy being a Mathews from the neighbouring farm Wharepapa). The station is 2600 acres, with a Romney Stud. Being coastal, it is very exposed to the n/west and southerly winds, and has a six mile boundary with Palliser Bay. In 1979 the farm was sold to the Shaw family who formed and ran a Tourist Lodge. In 1996 the Homestead was shifted to another part of the farm to make way for an up-market tourist complex, with guests being able to be helicoptered in direct from Wellington airport.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.