Glendonald

Original Filename: Glendonald_098.jpg ( not available for download )

Glendonald.

Caption

098

Glendonald

 

Situated 20 miles North/East of Masterton in the Biddiford district. The original owner was William Donald to whom the property owes its name. In 1865 bought 8000 acres for $1000 deposit and a mortgage of $22,000. It is thought that the original homestead was built on Waimapu Rd. near the Waimapu Ford. A second homestead was built on the present site. This was a large two storey house that later burnt to the ground. The present homestead was built in 1922 and it is thought that the back door step belonged to the original house. Owners 1865 W. Donald; 1872 A.V. Buchanan; 1875 P.F. Tancred & Whyllie; 1876 T.S. Tancred & R.S. Hawkins; 1885C.E.Cockburn Hood & J.C.Walker;1896 C.E Cockburn Hood;? S. Gunn;? S. Johns; 1982 C. Oldfield and T. Aubrey. In 1910 the property was divided into six farms and the names of Percy, Groves, Falloon, Liverton and others became associated with the smaller farms.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.