Aotea

Original Filename: Aotea_158.jpg ( not available for download )

Aotea.

Caption

158

Aotea

 

Situated in the South Wairarapa, south-east of Martinborough, just passed Hinekura on the Pahaoa Rd. "Aotea" was one of several homes built for family members on the Sutherland's giant "Ngaipu" property. It was built for Ken Sutherland and started in 1915 and built in two portions the first being finished in 1916 then four years later the second part finished. 1936 saw a sub-division of "Ngaipu" with 4000 acres being divided off to form "Aotea" but the old "Ngaipu" woolshed, dip and yards were used up until 1954 when a woolshed was built at "Aotea".

Another division in 1962 saw David Sutherland taking the "Moy Hall" block, and Malcolm the "Aotea" homestead block of 1780 acres.

The Sutherland family's from "Aotea" and "Ngaipu" had all originated from the early Llyal Bay, Wellington farm, and were a close group, all, virtually without exception, gathering every Christmas for a family get-together at "Ngaipu". A tradition that went on for a very long time.

In the early year isolation and access to the property was a problem as the Pahaoa River could rise very fast and the fords were made impassable. When the family bought a car for the trips to town it was stored by the Post Office at Hinekura and the rest of the journey made by horse and buggy which were better able to forward the river.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.