Mahoe

Original Filename: Mahoe_151.jpg ( not available for download )

Mahoe.

Caption

151

Mahoe

 

Situated two miles North of Mauriceville, to the North of Masterton.

The original property was purchased by James Mc Govern in 1916, then he bought an adjoining piece of land known as " Koporoa" from Franz Kummer, who had built the homestead in the early 1900's, once combined the property was farmed as " Mahoe". The legendary Russian Jack was a regular visitor, sleeping in the woolshed and calling at the homestead for a billy of tea. Then in later years he slept in the shearers quarters, and was delivered a roast dinner in the evening by the family, who enjoyed many discussions with him. From 1916 on, for nearly 70years "Mahoe" was farmed by various members of the Mc Govern family, until sold out of the family in 1985.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.