Otautu

Original Filename: Otautu_003.jpg ( not available for download )

Otautu.

Caption

003

Otautu

 

Situated on the North Wairarapa Coast East of Masterton and to the North of Castlepoint. It is the name of the homestead built on Mataikona Station in 1909 for Richard Barton, the son of John Barton. It was named after a Maori Pa site nearby. The area with the house on of 2000 acres was taken up by Gordon Morgan in 1928. When the property was bought by the Government and broken up as a Rehab. Farms after World War 1, it was renamed Te Karaka. In 1954 Morgan sold to Ernie Johnstone who owned the house when it was burnt to the ground on 27th June 1958.

Foreman's purchased the property in 1959, adding to their other holdings and in 1980 a new homestead was built on the same site and is today the Mataikona homestead of Alec and Margaret Foreman.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.