Mataikona

Original Filename: Mataikona_082.jpg ( not available for download )

Mataikona.

Caption

082

Mataikona

 

Situated on Wairarapa's East coast North of Castlepoint. The 26,000 acre property was first taken up by Valentine Smith in 1852. Capital to develop the property was a major factor and he became indebted to Tollemache. Smith soon became more interested in his Lansdowne property, and in 1880 he sold to John Johnstone who completed the purchase of the 25,268 acres which he held until 1899 when John Barton of Trenthham bought 12,974 coastal acres. This area he farmed until selling out to the Government after World War One when the property was broken up into smaller units for Soldier Resettlement. Mataikona is currently 4,300 acres after various additions over the years. The present homestead built in 1980 is on one of the additional parcels of land bought off Gordon Morgan in 1959 and the house where Steve Foreman lives contains part of the original homestead built on the property by Valentine Smith.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.