Matahiwi

Original Filename: Matahiwi_054.jpg ( not available for download )

Matahiwi.

Caption

054

Matahiwi

 

Situated about 4 miles West of Masterton. The original 6800 acre property was taken up by Major H.F. Cootes a retired Army Officer who had the first homestead built in 1865. He died within 2 years, so the lease was taken over by his two nephews John and Henry Holmes who had come out from Sussex. They eventually purchased the property from Mrs. Cootes their aunt. By 1880 about 2500 acres had been cleared and by 19 le property had been cleared and sown, and a dairy herd well established. A very early steam driven milking machine had been installed and was operating. The original house is still in use as a manager's house.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.