Otaraia

Original Filename: Otaraia_063.jpg ( not available for download )

Otaraia.

Caption

063

Otaraia

 

Situated on the Lake Ferry Rd. 5 miles S/W of Martinborough.

Part of the 34,000 acre Waihenga property purchased in 1879 by the Hon. John Martin (1822-92) from G.M. Waterhouse. Mr. Martin owned many properties and Hotels in Wellington. He also set out the township of Martinborough. The original homestead had a verandah on the ground floor which was removed in 1900 and replaced by a two floored verandah around two sides of the house. The exterior of the house has remained unaltered for over 100 years...

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.