Rathkeale

Original Filename: Rathkeale_042.jpg ( not available for download )

Rathkeale.

Caption

042

Rathkeale

Situated on S.H.2, four miles North of Masterton. Built in 1925 to the design of Heathcote Helmore architects of Christchurch for Mr. Beresford Maunsell, when he sold the Tinui Station holdings taken up by

his family in 1859. Rathkeale homestead was the centre of a 470 acre farm. In the 1960s Mrs. Maunsell sold the property to the Church of England for a boy's secondary school, and it is now a growing co-ed boarding and day college, with the homestead being the administration block.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.