Rototawai 2

Original Filename: Rototawai_044__2_of_2_.jpg ( not available for download )

Rototawai 2.

Caption

044

Rototawai

 

Situated 8 ½ miles from Featherston on the Kahautara Rd.

Built in 1929 on the same site as the old wooden homestead that had burnt down in 1928. This Georgian style homestead designed by Stanley Fearn a young Wellington architect, and was built by Judd and Russell at a cost of 30,000 pound and was extremely lavish for its time. It was completed in 1931, but not long after William died and Mrs. Bidwill stayed on until just before the war when she moved to the U.S.A. The house then became the property of J.C. Bidwill who lent it to the Karatane Hospital for the first 4 years of the war. Son Euan returned from the war married, they lived and brought up their family at Rototawai. In 1978 the homestead and 80 acres were broken off and sold, and the property has changed hands again since.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.