Wai-iti

Original Filename: Wai-iti_061.jpg ( not available for download )

Wai-iti.

Caption

061

Wai-iti

 

Situated at 33 Titoki Street Masterton. The homestead was built as a town house for Edward Furness Barton and family, a farmer at Mataikona. He and his brother were the sons of John Barton who had come from Trentham and bought Mataikona in 1899. The substantial homestead was designed by Raymond Lee of Watson Goodin & Lee, and built by Judd and Russell. It was first occupied on 28.11.1922 and electricity was first turned on in the Wairarapa and the house on 20.12.1922. Prior to that Wai-iti had a coal range and gas stove and lighting, with gas being supplied from the Borough Gas Works by the railway line in Bentley Street.

Surrounding the homestead were three acres of land plus another two leased from Mrs. Henry. These were later bought by others after World War Two. Beautiful gardens were established overlooking the nearby Lansdowne Dam (artificial lake) which burst in 1924. A three car garage and workshop was built in 1923 for 350 Pound, also a large fowl house for 9 Pound. In 1945 a caravan shelter was built for 50 Pound, and then in 1982 a double garage was built for $2961. During the 1990s the homestead was sold to Dr. Van Dalen and at the end of 1998 he obtained permission to move the house to Wanganui, giving an undertaking that he would restore the house to its original condition.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.