Orui

Original Filename: Orui_072.jpg ( not available for download )

Orui.

Caption

 

072

Orui

 

Situated on the coastal area at Riversdale. The original 17,000 acre Orui- Riversdale block was awarded in 1852 to Edwin Meredith, who came to N.Z. as a young man. His father was a well-to-do retired Naval Officer who with his family had worked the land in Tasmania. After having leased land in several parts of N.Z., Edwin was the first applicant for a large block of land south of the Whareama that the Government had just purchased from the Maoris. After having been granted the land he sent all his possessions and timber for a house by schooner from Wellington but it was all landed at Castlepoint 12 miles away through trackless bush. A raupo hut was built for family and staff to add to an existing three bed roomed whare, until possessions could be brought back. By 1867 Meredith's health had deteriorated and he tried to sell Orui and Uriti (part of Riversdale) but it did not sell. In 1878 it was again proposed to sell in seven blocks of up to 1500 acres, but this idea was stopped and sons Edwin and Richard started leasing it for 10 yrs from 1879. An 1879 sub-division saw Edwin take Wairongo and Richard take Beaumaris, Edwin died in 1885 age 21 and Richard died in 1896 aged 39.The Orui Station in 1893 contained 8780 acres, although the family holding in the three stations was 21,000 acres. In March 1907 Orui was sold to Cunningham and Midgley then in September 1907 to R.E.W. Riddiford. 1946 saw it bought by C. Meredith and P.J Borthwick Trust then in 1954 Clarence bought it back into the Meredith family where it still remains.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.