Manawa

Original Filename: Manawa_024.jpg ( not available for download )

Manawa.

Caption

024

Manawa

 

Situated North/East of Masterton in the Bidiford district.

First taken up in 1857 by Capt. C. Smith a former East India Company Officer who had come to N.Z. in 1847. He gave the property the name Bogley Wallah and put minimal stock on it. In 1857 management was taken over by T. Raich and C.K. Jeffs. In 1864 John Bridges bought out other interests but isolation hindered development, so in 1868 the 11,777 acre run was sold to Waring-Taylor of Wellington. John Wingate, who had earlier managed Springvale took over management and worked it into a worthwhile unit. Manawa was later controlled by an English company John Dixon and Co., of Birmingham, and when Wingate bought Meldrum, Dalziel took over. In 1908 Dalziel and Bunny bought the property, and 12years later it was divided between the partners, with Bunny taking part and calling it Maringi. It was later split into Maringi and Horoeke. Dalziel took over the Manawa homestead block and it is still farmed by the family.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.