Waipipi

Original Filename: Waipipi_060.jpg ( not available for download )

Waipipi.

Caption

060

Waipipi

 

Situated four miles North of Masterton in the Opaki district.

The property was first purchased by a Mr Wrightson in 1903 who bought 70 acres of what was considered useless land. He had built by C. E. Daniell a very fine country residence. By 1906 he had sold the property on to Mr Stonewig who four years earlier had purchased Poro Poro a large 3760 acre station 16 miles from Masterton. Stonewig transferred his stud flock of South Downes that originated from Stuckey of Te Rangitumau to Waipipi using 150 acres of the now 300 acres for the flock and 150 for the crops of rape, oats and turnips for feed. Probably due to the poor nature of the land he did not stay long. By 1909 after having made an addition of a governess's nursery wing to the homestead, it was sold Waipipi to the Oliver Bunny who used it as a finishing unit. Around 1924-28 with the introduction of Superphosphate and the sowing of Mt. Barker subterranean clover, these greatly enhanced the productivity of the rather poor type soil as the moisture holding and fertility increased.

Three generations of the Bunny family have now farmed the property. About 1980 it was split between brothers Dick and Joe Bunny, with the homestead and 125 acres going to Dick. Now under Dick's son Paul it is up to 180 acres. 1993 saw the first planting of what is now 20 acres of grapes. As it has now been established that the soil and area are ideally suited to grape growing and hence wine production. Waipipi grown grapes have featured in numerous awards. Waipipi and Opaki areas future seems certain to be involved in the growing of grapes and wine production, with well over 100 acres now having been planted in the Opaki district.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.