Waiawa

Original Filename: Waiawa_095.jpg ( not available for download )

Waiawa.

Caption

095

Waiawa

 

Situated on Langdale Rd. in the Whaerama District East of Masterton off the Masterton-Castlepoint Rd. Waiawa was originally part of the giant 25,000 acre Langdale Station that was sold to the Government in the 1900 for sub-division. The original homestead burnt down in 1891 and was rebuilt in 1893 and lived in by Jack and Ida Austin who managed Langdale for the Elder family. In 1901 the sub-divided Langdale was sold by ballot in small lots with 373 acres becoming Waiawa purchased by C. Holmes. In 1903 Donald Bennet, 1920 Charles Palliser, 1930 Robert and George Foreman, 1957 John Foreman, 1963 Keith and Ian Horsborough. The present homestead built in 1893 was designed by Charles T Natusch a renowned architect of the time, who designed many notable buildings from Wellington north to Gisborne. Waiawa is one of only about six Natusch buildings left in the Wairarapa, and is the family home of Keith and Jackie Horsborough, with well known gardens on the 780 acre property.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.