Katatane

Original Filename: Katatane_075.jpg ( not available for download )

Katatane.

Caption

075

Katatane

 

Situated just off the Masterton-Castlepoint Rd. just a few miles East of Masterton. Originally part of Te Parae. The 800 acre Katatane along with similar sized Wirimu was broken off Te Parae by Mr. Guy Williams for family members. The magnificent homestead in a setting of mature trees was designed by Heathcote Helmore of Christchurch, who also designed several other local homesteads of note. It was built in 1938 using mainly locally milled native timbers. A cottage at the end of the drive is thought to be well over 100 years old and was one of about 12 that were known to be in the area as mill workers cottages from the days when the Williams-Beetham partnership had saw mills in the area and supplied native timbers to both the local and Wellington market. One unusual feature of the property is the area in front of the homestead where a ha-ha has been built; a ha-ha is a natural wall fence to prevent stock approaching the house without people in the house having to look out a fence. This is done by using the natural fall of the land and cutting a wall into it and lining the face with ornamental stone work. This feature was built by Mr. Deane in the mid 1980s using limestone boulders from a nearby quarry. Katatane is still 800 acres and farmed by direct descendants of the original owners.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.