Mokonui

Original Filename: Mokonui_026.jpg ( not available for download )

Mokonui.

Caption

026

Mokonui

 

Situated at Opaki, just a few miles North of Masterton.

The house was built about 1882 as accommodation for the engineers and workers constructing the railway line from Masterton to Mauriceville. The land adjacent was owned by James Bourke, with the Cameron family living in the house at the time John Gordon Wingate bought the house and adjacent land from Bourke in 1920 and moved his family from their Meldrum farm at Alfredton nearer to town for the family's education, whilst still farming at Alfredton, as well as the extra land at Opaki.

Mokonui was sold in 1942 to Mr. Hodgins, and was demolished in 1960.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.