Original Filename: Ngaipu_161.jpg ( not available for download )
Situated in the Hinakura district southeast of Martinborough near the Pahaoa River. The story of Ngaipu (Ko nga ipu - a calabash of drink, for a passing Chief) or Pahaoa (windy pa) as it was then known is the story of Alexander Sutherland, his family line and his sisters two sons, who managed the property in the early years, William McLeod 1856-59 and James McLeod 1859-76, until the Sutherlands took over, William 1876-83, David 1883-1913, Alexander 1913-36. Alexander senior from Badbea Scotland was one of three families from that district (the others being Richard Barton and Dudley Sinclair) who had purchased into the New Zealand Co., offer of 100 acres of country land, and one town acre for 100 pounds, in a town yet to be formed in the new Colony of N.Z. accordingly they sailed on the "Oriental" the first immigrant ship to leave on 15/9/1839 arriving a few days after the "Aurora" at Petone 21/1/1840. There they spent a few days before crossing the harbour to Evans Bay to take up their 117 acres at Lyall Bay. There they stayed in a raupo hut built for them by the Maori's, until a wood and clay house was built; here they established their first farm, increasing its size to 400 acres over the next few years. By 1851-2 Alexander was looking for more land and rode as far as Foxton where it was too swampy, canoed through the gorge and on to southern Hawkes Bay where he felt it was too dry, then down to Akatio where he soon bought 7-800 acres, which he held for a few years until selling to Dr. Armstrong. Alexander took possession of Pahaoa in 1856 with the stock being driven down from Akitio; the land was 4509 acres of 10 shilling land 10 miles inland, bounding the Pahaoa River. Some time later he acquired another 10,304 acres of 5 shilling land adjoining. The whole property was managed by his nephews, first William McLeod then later David and run in conjunction with the Lyall Bay farm taking surplus stock from there. Lyall Bay was being run by Alex's sons, while he now lived in town at Newtown where he died in 1877. The Lyall bay farm was sold in 1878. William who had been managing Pahaoa died of rheumatic fever in 1883 and David took over, making plans for a sub-division in 1887 which saw David rename his block Ngaipu as there was confusion with Cameron's lower Pahaoa and Sutherland's upper Pahaoa.
The other half of the station (Mrs. Willie Sutherland's) was called Big Flat until about 1898 when it was renamed Moeraki and the management taken over by Donald Cameron from lower Pahaoa who had married one of the daughters. After coming through many hard times with breaking in the land, isolation, scab, rabbits, wild dogs and pigs the farms prospered and progressed. In 1895 it was decided to build a larger sheep dip and water tank. To do this 20,000 bricks were made and fired using 150 cord of wood, with it being finished in 1896. They were used for over 50 years. Over the years several homesteads had been built on Ngaipu with Moy Hall being one of the first, named after a Scottish castle and home of the clan Mackintosh. Alex McLeod and his wife lived there at times between 1868 and 1879; several of their children were born there. In 1879 a new homestead was built near the present Moeraki for David Sutherland, and then in 1915-6 another homestead was built for Ken Sutherland.
NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.