Tauanui

Original Filename: Tauanui_078-079.jpg ( not available for download )

Tauanui.

Caption

078-079

Tauanui

 

Situated in the South Wairarapa, it was one of the four original runs covering the area that stretched from just out of Featherston down to Martinborough and the coast. Assumed to have been the Lower Valley's first station, Elderlies Wallace and Vallance were there by 1844, but by 1845 it had been taken over by Charlyom and Altom and Tulle. It is not definite when Peter Hume bought the property but he was there during the 1855 earthquake. Born in Scotland in 1810 Hume went to Tasmania in 1832 then on to Wellington on the "Lady Lifer" in 1840. By 1850 he was grazing stock at Manaia (Masterton), and then in 1856 his name appears on maps at Tauanui as having an 80 acre homestead block. This was one of the many blocks that were later to make up his 13,089 acre station, many of the blocks having originally been taken up by others. Peter Hume built a homestead on the property. He died in 1892 and the farm was sold at auction to his four sons. By 1900 George and William had taken over and a little later was split with George taking Tauanui, the 6418 acre homestead block, and William taking 6777 acres and calling it Raho Ruru. George continued to live at Tauanui until his death in 1932. The 15 room homestead that George had built later burnt to the ground.

 

NOTE: The information contained here is a result of Des De Stefano's own research and was current at the time he was working on the project.